Street Robbery prevention tips
Take responsibility for your personal safety by adhering to the below street robbery prevention tips:
- Stay in well-lit areas.
- Walk near the curb — away from shrubbery and places where someone could be hiding.
- Walk against traffic, so that cars cannot surprise you from behind.
- Keep an arm’s length away from strangers.
- If you think someone suspicious is approaching or following you, cross to the other side of the street and head for the nearest public place.
- Know which stores and other public places are open along your route.
- Don't hesitate to run back to where you came from to get help.
- Look for anyone "hanging around" your car or your path to your car.
- Have your keys in your hand and be ready to open the car door.